Report an Academic Concern about a Student
If you are aware of a student who is exhibiting behaviors that are negatively impacting their academic performance in a course, we encourage you to complete an Academic Concern Report Form. Often students exhibiting concerning academic behaviors (this might include non-attendance, non-engagement, a sudden drop in academic performance, etc.) and who are unresponsive to emails, are experiencing challenges outside of the classroom.
If you become aware of a student whose academics have been (or will be) impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, please check the Academics and Classes FAQs related to the coronavirus and follow normal procedures to resolve the issue(s). For example, if a student is experiencing restricted travel that prevents them from being able to attend classes on campus in a future term, helping them adjust their schedule, identify alternative course options, and/or adjusting their grad plan may all be appropriate courses of action. If the you and/or the student need additional support from advising after you have followed standard protocol, please complete the report above to explain the situation and barriers for the student.
When you complete an Academic Concern Report, you can expect that an advisor will make every effort to connect with the student via phone to offer any support, resources, or information that might be helpful to them during this time.
Non-Emergency, Non-Academic Concern about a Student
Advising Case Management
Advising case management is a resource for students and the university community offered by the Office of Academic Advising. The focus is to provide support that helps students succeed academically by guiding them with strategies to overcome obstacles and connecting them to helpful resources.
For Students this might include:
- Assessing students‘ needs for academic success and personal wellness resources
- Identifying appropriate interventions and referrals
- Facilitating connections to relevant campus and community resources
- Providing regular check-ins as needed for academic advising, degree planning, problem solving and navigating campus processes
For the Campus Community:
- Receive and direct concerns regarding students with more extensive needs
- Offer trainings and consultation
- Facilitate communication between campus groups and the student
- Provide follow up as needed and appropriate
To refer a student for advising case management please email email@example.com using the subject line: Case Management Referral