Exploring Starts Here
Welcome new Ducks! Exploring majors are students who choose to explore their options before declaring.
Take a self-assessment to explore your strengths, career interests, and possible majors
Explore UO Flight Paths and the wide variety of majors and minors
Add a FIG, an ARC, or another first year program
(FALL TERM ONY)
Browse the UO Schedule of Classes
- You can search by interest area, specific majors, or by school or college!
- Make note of any majors that pique your interest and mention them in your advising meeting.
- Programs like First Year Interest Groups (FIGs) and Academic Residential Communities (ARC) are a great way to help you make the transition to college and get early access into great classes for fall term!
- Make note of any classes that grab your attention. Your advisor can help you identify patterns, suggest related classes or majors, and help you explore further!
What you can expect in your first advising meeting
During your meeting, your advisor will:
- Check in with you about any transfer credits (including AP/IB) that you have or are expecting to have, placement test scores, and any FIG or ARCs you are interested in (or have already added!)
- Ask you about your interests you want to explore further, classes that you might want to take, or possible majors and careers you are considering
- Brainstorm a list of class options for Fall term with you & send you a follow up email with the list of classes and a link for registration help
- Connect you with relevant resources or opportunities to further your exploration and support your academic success
- Answer your questions
To make the most of your advising meeting, it is helpful for you to:
- Complete one or more of the exploring activities above
- Bring any questions you have about academics, classes, majors, and more!