Academic Advising

Skip Navigation  Undergraduate Studies    Student Orientation    First-Year Programs    Academic Advising    Accessible Education Center    Teaching and Learning Center

Earning a Bachelor's Degree


It’s a good idea to take your university writing courses as soon as you are eligible.



WR 121 and WR 122 or WR 123

You should satisfactorily complete (with a C-, P (pass), or better) both writing courses by the end of your sophomore year, that is, by the time you have finished half of the work toward your degree.

Group Requirements

Course in the groups introduce you to key ideas in the three categories of human knowledge: arts and letters (>1), social science (<2), and sciences (>3 >4). The symbols >1 >2 and >3 are used in various UO publications to denote the courses from which you may choose within each group. The courses that fall into each of these groups are listed in the Courses section of the Student Handbook as well as in the Class Schedule.

Mathematics and Foreign Language

It’s a good idea to consider taking courses in both math and foreign languages. Getting started in your first year is also a good idea. Math is a requirement for some specific majors, and, along with Computer Information Sciences, for earning the B.S. degree. Foreign language study is required for specific majors, and for the B.A. degree.

In many UO majors, you can choose to earn either a bachelor of arts (B.A.) or a bachelor of science (B.S.) degree. The UO Catalog gives specific information on the degree options available for each major. For example, if you major in political science, you may earn either a B.A. or a B.S. degree; if you major in English or international studies, you may earn only a B.A. degree.

If you are working toward a bachelor’s degree in architecture (B.Arch.), interior architecture (B.I.Arch.), landscape architecture (B.L.A.), education (B.Ed.), or music (B.Mus.), your second-language or mathematics requirements may differ. Consult your adviser about these requirements. Bachelor of fine arts (B.F.A.) students must meet either the B.A. or the B.S. requirement.

Earning a Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.)

To earn a B.S. degree, you need to take the equivalent of one year of college-level work in mathematics and/or computer information science (CIS). Each course must be passed with a C-, P (pass), or better. To fulfill this requirement, you may choose from a number of options.

There are many math and CIS courses available at the UO, from developmental mathematics to calculus and beyond. Your choice of classes will depend on: your aptitude, your previous coursework, your SAT or ACT scores, your scores on a UO math placement test, and the majors you are considering. See your adviser for more information.

Earning a Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.)

To earn a B.A. degree, you need to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language that is at the level attained by two years of college-level work. Here are two common ways of demonstrating that you have mastered a foreign language at this level:

  1. Continue a language that you have already studied. As with a new language, you must be able to complete the third term course at the second-year level with a P/C- or better. In this case, your previous study will definitely give you a head start and you may fulfill your language requirement in less than two years. If you take this route, you must take a placement test to establish the level at which your language study should begin. Make an appointment at the Testing Office.

  2. Start a language that you have not already studied and plan to take two years of it. The specific requirement is to earn a C-, P (pass), or better in the third term of the second-year language sequence, a course typically numbered 203.

Multicultural Requirement

There are three multicultural categories: American Cultures; Identity, Pluralism, and Tolerance; and International Cultures. You’ll take a total of two courses chosen from any two of these categories. Of course, you can take more, but two is the minimum required for the bachelor’s degree. For a complete list, see Multicultural Courses in your Student Handbook. Some of these courses also count toward the Arts and Letters, Social Science, or Science group as indicated by the >1, > 2, or > 3 symbol associated with them.



Category A: American Cultures (AC)

Courses in this category consider race and ethnicity in the United States from historical and comparative perspectives. Each deals with at least two of the following groups: African Americans, Chicanos/Chicanas or Latinos/Latinas, Native Americans, Asian Americans, and European Americans.

Category B: Identity, Pluralism, and Tolerance (IP)

Courses in this category explore how we, as humans, form group identities based on ethnicity, class, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or other characteristics. Courses in this category may also analyze the general principles underlying tolerance, or the lack of it.

Category C: International Cultures (IC)

Courses in this category examine world cultures either by focusing on how those cultures create group identities and approach tolerance, or by analyzing a particular culture that is very different from the familiar ones in contemporary America.

Degree Requirements for students admitted Fall 2002 or after. [PDF]

Degree Requirements for students admitted Fall 1999 through Summer 2002 and graduating by Summer 2009 [PDF]